Trying to install pywb

I am trying to install pywb onto a local virtual machine environment (folder). System is debian 11.3 (Bullseye), Local Personal Computer. with Python 3.10.6, which has pip and setuptools. I understand it might not run here, this excersise is only to figure out how to install it. What am I doing wrong? Should I put git somewhere else?

download pywb archive.

mkdir -p /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain
cd /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain
wget https://github.com/webrecorder/pywb/archive/refs/tags/v-2.6.7.tar.gz

list pywb archive.

ls /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/v-2.6.7.tar.gz

extract pywb archive

cd /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain
tar -xvf v-2.6.7.tar.gz

read pywb documentation

nano /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/pywb-v-2.6.7/INSTALL.rst

git

cd /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/pywb-v-2.6.7
git init
git add .
git commit

try install

/home/bullseye/test/Python/3.10.6/ensurepip/Python-3.10.6/python /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/pywb-v-2.6.7/setup.py install

error message

bullseye@debian:~$ /home/bullseye/test/Python/3.10.6/ensurepip/Python-3.10.6/python /home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/pywb-v-2.6.7/setup.py install
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/pywb-v-2.6.7/setup.py”, line 93, in
long_description=get_long_description(),
File “/home/bullseye/test/pywb/2.6.7/plain/pywb-v-2.6.7/setup.py”, line 14, in get_long_description
with open(‘README.rst’, ‘r’) as fh:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘README.rst’
bullseye@debian:~$

I found easier method to install. I ran pip install pywb. Now when I execute I get this error and then terminal freezes.
bullseye@debian:~$ pywb
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘./config.yaml’
2022-08-22 16:58:03,761: [INFO]: Starting Gevent Server on 8080

bullseye@debian:~$ ls ./config.yaml
ls: cannot access ‘./config.yaml’: No such file or directory
bullseye@debian:~$

Do you see it running with the default configuration when you open localhost:8080 in your browser?

Have you been following along with the instructions? Usage — pywb 2.0 documentation

To: edsu
It looked like the terminal froze so I figured something was wrong and I did not bother to procede with instructions and open localhost:8080 in my browser. Yes I have been following along with the install instructions but since the terminal froze I figured it made no sense to continue with operating instructions. Thank you for suggesting that, I see that the install was successful. Page says Pywb Wayback Machine This archive contains the following collections:. Now I can continue from install and learn the next steps. PROBLEM SOLVED.

1 Like