Webrecorder Desktop App not showing gui

Hi,

I downloaded the web recorder desktop 2.0.3 win x64 application and it doesn’t show any ui windows to use it. I see the processes in the task manager but nothing shows.
And don’t know how to use it without ui. Is there any different user guide for desktop app. What I have to do to start or use the application ?

Thanks

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎05.‎07.‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Sorry that you’re having trouble with the app! Unfortunately, it’s hard to say exactly what’s wrong, as the UI is supposed to load. Can you try the 2.0.2 version to see if there is any difference?

We are working on a new version of the app that should work much better on Windows. Will let you know when it is available.

Semi-related, but I have had the same/similar issue with Webrecorder Desktop when I upgraded to Mac OS BigSur. The GUI has stopped showing up, even though the app launches.

Hi,
I tried with 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 versions and same thing happened.

When I looked at Event Viewer, I found warnings about RuntimeBroker.(PerAppRuntimeBroker)

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user ENVY-X\Eser K SID (S-1-5-21-1944702298-1176419861-3351209990-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

And found a solution about this error at the link below.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-error/

Also needed to add SYSTEM user in Component Services additionally with same method.

And restarted my computer. It fixed.

Why do I need to do this?

Hi @eserkelleci, to be honest I am not at familiar with this workaround. We haven’t seen this issue before, and it may well be related to changes in Windows 10. (I mostly use Mac)

We’ve just announced the new ArchiveWeb.page Chrome extension, which you can install from the link. The extension works directly in your Chrome browser, and should work well on Windows, as well as latest OS X.

We are also working on an ArchiveWeb.page App if you need a full desktop app to replace the Webrecorder Desktop. The new app will be simpler (essentially just Chromium/Electron), and should work faster on Windows as well.

The reason the current Webrecorder Desktop is more complex is that it launches a Python application and Redis along with electron; the latest app will just be one application.

For now, we hope the extension can meet your needs (if not, we would be interested to hear why not as well!)

The ArchiveWeb.page Desktop app is now available, if you’d prefer the app version.

More details about it in the latest blog post:
https://webrecorder.net/2021/02/22/archiveweb-page-app-new-tools.html

Hey, I have the same issue. @ilya I was wondering what happened to my Webrecorder archives, can they be extracted or migrated to ArchiveWeb somehow?

Thanks for all your work on this one :pray:t2: